SLOTHFILM - is the home of James Bebbington. I offer full end to end video production and also work as a freelance director of photography.
Over the last few years I’ve been privileged to work on a vast range of productions - I got to film an expedition tackling the last un-run river of the Himalayas by Kayak. I’ve also shot over 30 TV ads, various adventure sports segments, music videos, short films, multiple sports documentaries and an independent feature film.
To enable me to be of value working as both a lighting cameraman and as an adventure, sports & expedition specialist the skills I've learnt along the way have been wide ranging - whether that be setting up custom go pros, operating a RED on a gimbal, lighting a fashion shoot, shooting sync in the field or grabbing drone shots.
I originally learnt how to film creating content for sponsors - I’ve been on the GB kayak team since 2004 and was the 2011 World Kayak Champion and am currently ranked 6th in the world.
Using the skills I gained as a kayaker I’ve operated in all manner of hazardous and hard to reach environments to get engaging coverage and unique shots. This was best used on the recent Bhutan episode of Steve Backshall’s Expedition series which I worked on as the kayaking cameraman.
Given my unusual background, i’m just as at home being part of a large crew lighting and shooting a studio based TV ad as I am working solo kayaking backwards down an un-run river filming a piece to camera whilst navigating grade 5 rapids.
What drove me to enjoy working in such opposite ends of the filming spectrum is what led to my success in kayaking. I LOVE learning to technically and creatively figure out how to do things and innovate solutions.
Below is a behind the scenes glimpse into my work on the Bhutan episode of Steve Backshall's Expedition Series
• CAA licensed Drone Operator
• iRata level one
• 16 hour remote locations first aid
• Full Video Production - From conception to delivery
• Operate a range of cameras - RED Epic-W, FS7, EVA1, A7S, GH5 and custom GoPros
• Fly and film using drones - Mavic 2 Pro & Phantom 4 Pro
• Operate Gimbals - Ronin / Movi Pro
• Light , Edit & Sound mix - FCPx / Resolve
• Colour grade - Davinci Resolve
• Sony FX6 (coming soon)
• Sony A7Siii
• Canon 24-105 f4 ISL & Sigma 18-35 ART 1.8
• Sony 24, 35, 55, 85, 90mm Primes
• Sony 24-105 & 70-300mm Zooms
• DJI Mavic 2 Pro Drone
• Extensive High Quality LED Lighting (2 1x1 panels, 3x Freshnels and extras)
• DJI Ronin R1 & RS2 Gimbals
• Rhino Slider & Motor / Arc
• Sachtler Aktiv 8 / Flowtech 75
• Miller Air Tripod
• Rode NTG3 Mic + RODElink lav mics